I have been shopping around for student loans last couple of weeks. I looked at both CitiBank and Wellsfargo bank for private loans. What I found intresting is while both banks offer good rates for private loans they both have diffrent eligibility criteria.
For Citi loan I had to just give them basic information such as SSN, College details, and Amount required they just approved the loan. But the trick is that thier loans are at Prime + 7% (works out to 10% now!!).
But of for Wellsfargo along with basic information ypu all need to find a Amrican Citizen to co-sign for you!!! (This is because I am not a US Citizen but a permanat resident). Intrest rate depends on the credit score of ypur co-signer, so ypu not only have to find a citizen to sign for you but also find someone with a good credit score!!
Althoug I am not happy that I am not able to get the low intrest rate, this experience made me think why Wellsfargo has been performing well compared to Citibank over last year under the unprecedented banking crisis
Wellsfargo has been carefull in its lending practice and hence able to manage the banking crisis far better than Citibank. This is reflected in stock prices of both these banks..
http://www.google.com/finance?chdnp=1&chdd=1&chds=1&chdv=1&chvs=maximized&chdeh=0&chdet=1242424513578&chddm=98923&cmpto=NYSE:C&cmptzos=-18000&q=NYSE:WFC&ntsp=0
No comments:
Post a Comment